Shalem Evangelical Church was established in 1955, under the leadership of the late Rev. Tom L. Barker(1914-1986)
The Church was then located in Civilian Road, Bush Hall, and has subsequently been based in Long Gap, Spooner's Hill(1955-1960), Ocean View Road(1960-1975), and Ellis Road, Bush Hall Yard Gap(1975-2002).
In 1995, the Church purchased a plot of land in Bush Hall Yard Gap, St. Michael, and has built a new Church for its members and friends to worship God in Spirit and in truth.
The present pastor is the Rev. Carl W. Barker, who was appointed the leader in 1986, following the death of his father. He had served as assistant pastor from 1975-1986.
Rev. Carl W. Barker is married to Sandra S. Barker, and has three sons; Antonio (80-11-27), Johann (85-01-16), and Winston (88-01-25).
The Secretary General of the Church is Bro. Lloyd H. Barker (246)571-6037. The Church's trustees are Senator Tyrone Barker, and the pastor. Mother Gwendoline Springer died in August 2007, and will be replaced as trustee in due course.