Shalem Evangelical Church was established in 1955, the same year that Hurricane Janet struck the Island of Barbados.
The combined effects of the hurricane and a non-functioning Pastor, were then to catapult the youthful and inexperienced Tom Barker to the leadership of the Church. He would give give thirty one years of meritorious service!
Circumstances then dictated that the church relocate from its location, as it was then, at Civilian Road, Bush Hall, and the Church relocated to Long gap, Spooners Hill in 1958.
The Church moved briefly to President Kennedy drive, and then on to Ocean View Road in Spooners Hill in 1960,where the Church enjoyed fifteen glorious years, until we were asked to move once again.
The next location was Ellis Road, Bush Hall, where we were to spend twenty seven fruitful years. It was during this time that the founder, Rev. Tom L. Barker died (2nd April 1986), and was succeeded by his son Rev. Carl W. Barker.
While at Ellis Road, the Church was offered a plot of land that once belonged to one of our founder members, Mother Yearwood. Her daughter was adamant that she would have wished the Church to have it! This was in 1995, and the Church gratefully accepted the offer.
The present Church at Bush Hall Yard Gap, St. Michael was dedicated on April 7th, 2002, after years of hard work and sacrifice by its membership. The Church has now finally settled on its own land, and here continues on its mission of spreading the Gospel of Christ. We praise God for His providence and care for over fifty years, and wish to continue in His service until we are called to be with Him